Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Past, Present and Future

Last Christmas was one of HOPE. We had put out the decorations like we always did. Mom was in charge of where everything went. She even decided which theme we would use for the tree. She was happy and alert most of the month. We were all hopeful.

In the past, Mom would be singing Christmas carols at the top of her lungs. And we would listen to all kinds of Christmas music. I would search for my favorite Christmas mice and make sure they were displayed, no matter what "theme" Mom had picked out. Going through Mom's Christmas decor was always an adventure. Because she was so crafty and creative, she was always making a new decoration, wall hanging, wooden display, Santa Clause, and centerpieces. The list of what Mom made each year could go on and on. My daughters and I have tried to keep up with Mom's tradition by making things each year. But what we make is more for gifts than just Christmas decor. All the same, we get together and create something special and unique. The important part as well as the cherished part is just getting together. We laugh, cry, eat, drink and are very merry! We make memories. 

This Christmas is a quiet one. My house seems empty. The song and spirit of Christmas is a very quiet one. All my children have officially left the nest this year so getting into the spirit of the season has been a tough one. This is also our first family Christmas without Mom. Dad keeps threatening to run away so he doesn't have to celebrate the holiday with us. I am going to decorate his house whether he wants it or not. I actually know that he does want it. He just doesn't want to do it himself. I caught him watching a Christmas special and he was smiling about it. He is so funny. Big strong man, hiding his emotions, but truth be known, he misses Mom terribly, as do all of us. 

Our future Christmas' will be full of children and laughter. My nephew, Garrett is two and his baby brother will be 4 months. Next year, I will have a grandchild of my own to spoil and make special gifts for. Even though Mom is not with us, her spirit is. The twinkle in her eye lives on and we will sing at the top of our lungs the Christmas carols in spite of ourselves. 

I know this is a short blog today, but more than anything, I wanted to express that even though there is an absent of our beloved. Being full of joy and celebrating the season of Christmas should never be a time of sadness! Christmas represents the Birth of Jesus Christ and that is nothing to cry over. Even if you don't believe in the Christ child and you celebrate because of St. Nicholas, again, it is a reason for joy, not sorrow. 

I believe this is the season to love others and bless those less fortunate than yourselves. Reach out and be kind. It is not about the presents, it is about caring, sharing and being thankful and grateful.

Merry Christmas!  

1 comment: